Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Robo.ai Inc. Provides Business Update and Announces Interim Report Release Schedule

    August 20, 2026

    CIMC Modular Building Systems Ships First Modular Hotel Project to Saudi Arabia

    August 20, 2026

    LG ELECTRONICS EXPANDS FIT & MAX SOLUTION ACROSS KEY HOME APPLIANCE CATEGORIES AT IFA 2026

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Morocco News HubMorocco News Hub
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Morocco News HubMorocco News Hub
    Home » Lebanese economy collapse blamed for mass migrations as families mourn
    News

    Lebanese economy collapse blamed for mass migrations as families mourn

    September 26, 2022
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Email

    A surge of voyages on rickety boats has been fueled by Lebanon’s financial collapse, which is among the most severe in human history. In this country of about 6.5 million people, poverty rates have skyrocketed. As search operations continue for the migrant boat that sank off the Syrian coast earlier this week after sailing from Lebanon, at least 94 people died. Reuters reports that it is the deadliest such voyage yet from Lebanon, where mounting economic desperation has led many to board overcrowded and often rickety boats.

    Lebanese economy collapse blamed for mass migrations as families mournAt the apartment of Mustafa Misto’s family in the impoverished Bab Al-Ramel district of Tripoli, the family was accepting condolences for the loss of the Lebanese man and his three young children. “We have no one but God,” an elderly relative cried in Lebanon as mourners paid their respects. Lebanese who feared their relatives were among the dead gathered at the border crossing with Syria, where the bodies were due to be brought later in the day.

    A search and rescue operation was launched in Cyprus late at night after two vessels carrying migrants from Lebanon put out distress signals. One vessel carried 300 migrants, the other 177. The Joint Rescue Coordination Center on the island said that all those on board were rescued in those cases.

    Earlier this month, the UN refugee agency said that the number of people who have left or attempted to leave Lebanon by sea nearly doubled in 2021 compared to 2020. Compared with the same period last year, it rose by more than 70% in 2022. Off the coast of Lebanon, the Lebanese navy intercepted a migrant boat that set off near Tripoli in April. About 80 Lebanese and Palestinian migrants were on board, of whom some 40 were rescued, seven were confirmed dead and around 30 are still missing.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Email

    Related Posts

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026

    International Youth Day 2026 puts youth inclusion in focus

    August 13, 2026

    Meta, TikTok lose appeal as youth addiction cases proceed

    August 12, 2026

    China widens flood response after Typhoon Dolphin landfalls

    August 11, 2026
    Latest News
    News

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026

    A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck off Indonesia’s North Sumatra province on Tuesday, shaking communities across parts of Sumatra. The earthquake occurred at 1:02:23 p.m. western Indonesian time, or 06:02:23 UTC. Official data placed the epicenter in the sea, 147 kilometers southeast of South Nias Regency. The earthquake had a depth of 29 kilometers, with its source beneath waters west of Sumatra. Residents across other parts of Sumatra also reported shaking after the magnitude 6.1 earthquake. The National Disaster Mitigation Agency, or BNPB, said the earthquake had no potential to generate a tsunami. Residents in South Nias felt weak shaking for about three to five seconds. Local disaster offices began monitoring affected areas after the tremor, while the initial national bulletin provided no confirmed casualty or damage figures.

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    DRC malaria cases surpass 26 million in 2025

    August 17, 2026

    South Korea auto exports reach $6.24 billion in July

    August 14, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026

    International Youth Day 2026 puts youth inclusion in focus

    August 13, 2026

    Etihad sets December start for Abu Dhabi Gothenburg flights

    August 13, 2026

    Diesel prices rise as US and Europe fuel supplies tighten

    August 12, 2026
    © 2026 Morocco News Hub | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.